Dead Phelsuma Laticauda baby

Dieser Bereich des Forums dient zum Gedankenaustausch über unsere gemeinsamen Pfleglinge, die Taggeckos. Hier können Fragen gestellt werden, über die unsere Berichte keine Auskunft geben oder über die man vertieft etwas erfahren möchte. Dinge, die einem in der täglichen Beobachtung der Tiere aufgefallen sind, können hier zur Diskussion gestellt werden. Alle Besucher dieser Seite sind herzlich eingeladen sich mit Fragen und Antworten am Forum zu beteiligen.
Antworten
Anine
Dead Phelsuma Laticauda baby

Beitrag von Anine » Di 10 Aug, 2004 20:21

Hi!

I'm writing in English cause my German is bad. The 4th baby from my Phelsuma Laticauda pair hatched sunday. I already have 3 live and healthy babies from the same parents. At first I thought the newly hatched baby was dead, cause it had an empty glance, it was hanging in the air without grabbing with it's frontlegs and it didn't react when I came near. When I touched it's tail a bit it moved the tail away, and when we lifted the "baumwollwatte" it was lying on, it reacted with the whole body. At the same time we spotted a little "bag" of that yellow stuff in an egg, (the other 3 babies didn't have this) and it seemed there was a thread from it to the baby's mouth.. unfortunately we could also see threads from the "baumwollwatte" go into it's mouth. We took both the baby and the "bww", since they were connected, into a plastic cup. The following hours I could see that the baby had moved now and then, and I even saw it sitting on the sides, so it was able to climb.. though it still didn't crawl much and lay in some "dead" positions now and then. Then the next day it was suddenly dead and the head looked like it had collapsed and looked like a mummy even if it had only been dead for some hours. You can see pictures of the dead baby here: http://rtr-total.com/fotoforum/showphoto.php?photo=1432
http://rtr-total.com/fotoforum/showphot ... =531&page=

I don't know if the collapsed head (brain?) is normal for dead reptiles/geckos, or if it's part of what killed it? I'd really like to know why it died, so tell me anything you know.. even if it's strange looks are normal for a dead gecko. Has anyone experienced the same? Let me know! You can write in German if you're not so fond of English! Thanks in advance!
All the best,
Anine in Dänemark

michi
Beitrag von michi » Mi 11 Aug, 2004 0:26

Sinngemäß übersetzt ins Deutsche für Teilnehmer ohne Englischkenntnisse:
Anine hält ein Pärchen Phelsuma lat. laticauda von dem sie bisher 3 gesunde Nachzuchten erhielt. Am letzten Sonntag schlüpfte dann die vierte Nachzucht. Sie dachte das Tier wäre Tot, da es sich trotz anstoßens nicht bewegte. Als sie die "baumwollwatte" auf dem das Tier lag hochnahmen bewegte es sich mit dem gesammten Körper. Dabei sahen sie eine kleine Tasche mit Eigelb (dottersack?) welchen sie bei den anderen 3 NZ nicht gesehen hatten. Fäden dieses Eigelbes und der baumwollwatte führten ins Maul des Geckos. Sie legten das Tier und die watte in eine Plastiktasse da beide miteinander verbunden waren. In den folgenden Stunden bewegte sich das Tier hin und wieder und saß auch an den wänden, es konnte also auch klettern. Er bewegte sich aber nicht viel und lag hin und wieder in "toten positionen".
Am nächsten Tag war das Tier tot und sah aus wie eine Mumie.

Sie weis nicht ob dieser eingefallene Kopf/Gehirn normal ist für tote Geckos oder ob es von dem kommt was ihn umgebracht hat. Sie ist für jeden Tipp dankbar und möchte wissen ob jemand das gleiche oder ähnliches schoneinmal erlebt hat.
Wer sein Englisch nicht für ausreichend hält kann auch in Deutsch antworten.

Hi Anine,

I have never seen a gecko looking like yours. In the last years, two of my fresh geckos died in the first months, one after 6 weeks, he looked like a normal gecko but he was a bit darker. The other died while he tried to hatch. He looked like a normal gecko but he was grey, not green.

I don't think that your horrorgecko died normaly.

Regards,

michi

Fletscher
Beitrag von Fletscher » Fr 13 Aug, 2004 15:19

Hello,

may it be a defect, started during the incubation ? Or a massive accident by leaving its egg. But I think the first issue could be the reason. I have heard of defects during the incubation, such as missing arms or legs or something like that, if the parent geckos are brother and sister. Especially if inbreeding goes into the next generation and so on ...
Are the parents from different breeders ?

Kind Regards,

Torsten
Viele Grüße,
Fletscher
Bild Bild

Anine

Beitrag von Anine » Sa 14 Aug, 2004 1:44

Hi!

Thank you for your replies (and for the translation.. you explained it so much better than I did).
may it be a defect, started during the incubation ? Or a massive accident by leaving its egg. But I think the first issue could be the reason.
I also suspect a defect.. but because of the "smashed head" and the empty glance, I suspect some kind of brain defect. I searched the net a bit, but couldn't find anything on phelsuma defects, to see if there was anything sounding like my gekko. The gekko was lying only 1 cm or so from the egg it came out of, and when it was alive, there were no visible defects, so I don't think it could be a hatching-accident.

I have heard of defects during the incubation, such as missing arms or legs or something like that, if the parent geckos are brother and sister. Especially if inbreeding goes into the next generation and so on ...
Are the parents from different breeders?
I bought the couple as a breeding couple and they were grown up and had been breeding for some time. I can't be sure, but when people sell breeding couples I don't think they are related..
Now I'm just thinking if something in the incubation caused the defect or it was in the genes (or what it is inside that causes defects).. I don't believe the incubation was different than the 3 other babies who are lively, growing and healthy. The first time my female laid eggs, she lay a "double-egg" (don't know the correct word for it), but the last 2 times she only lay 1 egg at a time, and I think she is pregnant with only 1 egg this time too. Does feeding, calcium or other stuff have any influence on wether she lays 1 or a double-egg? Or is it a hormone thing, meaning it depends how many eggs she gets fertilized/comes out to be fertilized (hard to explain in a foreign language)? Just want to know if it is my "fault" that she only lays 1 egg at a time..
Thanks in advance!
Anine

michi
Beitrag von michi » Sa 14 Aug, 2004 11:30

My geckos lay a single egg just at the beginning of a laying period when it gets warmer which is mostly not fertilised. Then my girls lay a double-egg circa every 6-8 weeks.
I feed the geckogirls every 2 weeks with a mix from Korvimin ZVT, calciumlactat, nektron msa and honey to be sure that they have as much minerals as they need.
I don't know if you can get those substances in denmark or if there are related substances ...

Regards,
michi

Antworten